Top Gun.

Posted by Maane Simpas | Posted in | Posted on 4:34 PM


I woke up to the sound of my Dad's ringing cellphone. Checked my watch, it's 3 in the afternoon. Outside, it looked like it's almost 6. I realized that it had been 20 hours since my last food intake. No wonder, how my stomach growled like a monster when I stood up and stretched my body lazily. Went out of my room and saw Dad in the kitchen, drinking a glass of water. I don't usually say things when talking is not necessary so I just gave him an awkward smile, then drank a glass of water and headed straight to the bathroom.

I liked how cold the water was so I decided not just to wash my face but to wash my hair and the rest of my body as well. I found myself singing a Coldplay song inside my head. I felt chilly and freezing when I got out. Hurriedly put on a pair of warm jacket and sweat pants, then sat in front of the television while having sips from the hot Pancit Molo that Lenlen cooked. There was nothing good from the boob tube since the cable was out so I turned it off and continued filling my hungry stomach.

"How's duty?" Dad asked. He was seated across from me while reading a Sidney Sheldon novel. "Fine," was all I said, then went back to my room. It was a bit awkward, so I had to get away before the conversation progresses.

Obviously, there was nothing to do in my room. I wasn't in the mood for cleaning up or fixing the mess I did not make. The cool weather drags me to sloth and procrastination. It makes me not wanting to do anything at all.

I went out of my room once again and looked for food in the fridge. I didn't know if Dad was doing it on purpose, but he followed me to the kitchen and pretended to be thirsty. Trying to escape the awkward moment quickly, I accidentally knocked off a glass and it crashed to the floor. Now things are getting more and more awkward. I sighed and carefully picked up the broken pieces.

Dad watched me do what I was doing while still pretending to be thirsty.

"Aaaw!" I said a bit too loudly. I didn't feel it when I should have but when I saw red fluid coming out from a cut, that's when I realized that I have injured myself. I went to the sink and washed the blood off from my hands. My face twisted in pain. I always had low pain tolerance.

"Here," Dad offered a cloth where I could wipe off the goo. "Thanks," I said without looking at him.

I once again went back inside my room. It was awkward. But it felt good.


Comments (0)

Post a Comment