Bwiset.

Posted by Maane Simpas | Posted in | Posted on 8:00 PM

After what felt like a tiresome duty today, I decided to meet my college friends and share a bounty of cheeseburgers and twister fries with them.

So I was riding the jeepney with a dutymate. We were talking about the day we had at the OR when the jeepney stopped. Up came a passenger: a child, about 4 feet tall and was wearing tattered clothes. His feet were bent inwards, in a really funny way, as if he didn't have joints. I recognized the child. I once shared a meal with him while eating at Jollibee. He said he never knew his mother and has always grown up alone in the streets.

Now, I usually ignore street children. I never paid special attention to them. Sorry to say this but I am at most times irritated of them.

But today, I realized that I am on a happy mood so I took out three 1-peso and 6 25-centavo coins from my purse and kindly handed it to him. He didn't look eager but took the coins from my hand anyway.

I asked him where he was going, he said "Sa city. Maghahanap ako ng pagkain dun." I noticed that he kept playing with the coins that I gave him so I told him to keep it inside his pocket. He looked at me and said, "Puro bebeynte singko naman 'tong binigay mo sakin eh. Di pa to makakabili ng tinapay." I don't know if I was imagining things but I'm pretty sure he muttered the word "kuripot" beneath his breath.

What ticked me off all the more was when he started throwing the 25 centavo coins to the road. I swear, I have thought about strangling that kid to death when I saw what he did. How fortunate he was though, I was wearing my nurse duty uniform.

When we were about to get off, that drat of an ungrateful child showed me a bundle of 20 peso bills. From that very moment, I regretted that I had to give my coins which I could have used for my next jeepney ride.

I did a random act of kindness, which I RARELY ever do, and that's what I got in return. Anyway, lesson learned.

Comments (1)

what a darn kid! he's throwing the coins while riding the jeep?! kapal ba! well, I just hope you won't get discouraged to do a random act of kindness again..=)

Post a Comment